Skip to main content

Silver Diva Costumes


Silver Diva Costumes

photo by Jaybirdy Photography

Priscilla Queen of the Desert Amateur theatre production September 2021. 
Murray Bridge Players and Singers



Original concept drawing done on Pret-a-template

I started these costumes in May 2021. There are 5 Divas in the Murray Bridge Players and Singers production of Priscilla Queen of the Desert. The original stage production has 3. 
I was inspired by pictures of the original professional theatre production Diva costumes and The Supremes. You can see my whole Priscilla inspiration Pinterest board at Samantha Pope



The Diva dress I designed is a one piece costume. The original costumes appear to be a corset and skirt. The Divas in the professional production play the one character throughout the musical but our Divas were required to fill a number of roles.
Because of the quick costume changes required I chose to make a dress with a zip in the back. 
I also designed it with wide shoulder straps so my Divas could choose more comfortable foundation garments and not strapless bras. 

I needed a sewing pattern that would accomodate a variety of sizes and would have simple lines. I chose McCalls 8038 and made view B.




The dress bodice is made from a brushed silver foil knit from Spotlight which I got on sale at $3.40 a metre! I bought 6.5m which was all they had and turned out to be just enough.


After selecting the pattern I tweaked the design to this

Drawing a concept and making it functional reality are two different things. I made a toile for each actor from Trace 'n' Toile interfacing. This is a non woven fabric designed to be used for pattern making. You can draw the pattern on to it then cut it out and sew it up. 

The toile I made for the actors to try on was the dress as you see in the McCalls view B image. I had the basis for my design using that dress. The bodice of the finished dress is basically the same as the McCalls design but with back darts added when needed.

The skirt was made in 3 parts. The poplin lining layer was the shape of the McCalls skirt cut to a shorter hemline. 


Bodice before lining


 Lamé flounce with foil knit upper.


Back bodice showing where the zip will go


I drafted a fluted front and back flounce to be made in silver lamé. This flounce starts at the waist line and curves down to about 3/4 down the sides to flute out and drop to the hemline where it is and is fuller. I made a train in the back of the flounce so it would have drama when a Diva walked off stage. 

Over the top of the flounce, at the hips and waist was a layer of the foil knit fabric.

Fins

The fins are purely decoration. I drafted the fins by using the toile of the skirt for each actor. The fins are 3 layers in 3 fabrics. The base layer was made from a reversible brocade, the middle layer from a pleated black satin with a silver spot pattern and the top layer is a diamond embossed lamé. These were all fabrics from my stash.





Fin pattern pieces first design

The first attempt at the fins was a complete disaster. I wanted the fins to be firm and self supporting of their shape. I ironed a heavy buckram interfacing to each cutout fabric fin and then assembled them together as 1 layer. The buckram fas so firm it caused the fins to stick out at weird angles and wouldn't sit right. 

I started over and this time I used a much lighter weight sew in buckram I got from DK fabrics. The fins are not lined as they mostly sit flat against the skirt. I did have to bind the edges all the raw edges and find a visually pleasing way to incorporate the edges into the side seams.

For the binding I used some felt backed pleather with a hatch embossed texture. This fabric was from Spotlight and when I bought it I had no idea what I would end up using it for.

I used black to bind the silver fins and silver to bind the black fins. I had just enough to complete the 5 Diva dresses!


Leaf embellishments 



Here is were my fin disaster paid off. I had all this heavy interfaced fabric and needed to make a lot of leaf shapes for the bodice decorations. 

Heather Richards from my sewing team cut out all the different leaf shape from the interfaced fin fabric and an assortment of pleather fabrics in black, silver, glitter and holographic finishes. She pinned the layers together so I could the sew down the centre of each leaf to hold the layers together.

4 leaf sets at the back



3 leaf sets at the front

I needed two sizes of leaves, sets with 4 leaf shapes sewn together and sets with 3. The following shows the application of the leaves to the front bodice.


Front layout


Back Layout with room for zip in the centre


Fins attached with pins









Leaves pinned to front are then stitched to the dress.


Finished dress

Each Diva dress is slightly different with the placement of leaves in different combinations across the front and back.












Front


Side


Back


Here are the beautiful Divas during rehearsals.
Far left to right
Jo, Prue, Cassie, Breigh and Lorelle


5 Divas. photo by  Jaybirdy Photography


Lorelle. photo by  Jaybirdy Photography


Breigh.  photo by  Jaybirdy Photography


Cassie. photo by  Jaybirdy Photography


Jo. photo by Jaybirdy Photography


Prue. Sempre Libera. photo by  Jaybirdy Photography



All the Diva's. Venus.  photo by  Jaybirdy Photography


Jo. A fine Romance. photo by  Jaybirdy Photography

All performance photos were taken during dress rehearsals. 











Popular posts from this blog

Frill Neck Lizard Costume

Frill Neck Lizard Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers I started this costume on November 7th 2020 Alex as the Frill Neck lizard rehearsal photo by Jaybirdy Photography Classic Australian icon the frill neck lizard appears in the original stage production.  design by Charades-theatrical.com While I love this design it has many elements, pants, top, shin covers, cod piece, girdle and sail. Way too many things for my actor to put on so I narrowed it down to a top that zips up the front, some stretchy pants and a headpiece you need a pilots licence to drive. My initial design done with Pret-a-template app This is probably the most labour intensive costume I made, purely because I went back to my skills in a freehand machine embroidery and machine sewed all the decorative embroidery into the fabric making it unique. Unlike the professional above costume where printed stretch metallic lycra has been used, I started wit

Cockatoo Costume

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo worn by Cassie Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers Jo and Cassie - rehearsal photo by Jason McCullough I started these costumes February 2021. In the final scene all actors come on stage in an Australian themed costume, the 3 Divas don a sulphur crested cockatoo costume. Off all the complicated costumes I made this was the easiest but also very time consuming. I looked at many pictures of cockatoo's on Pinterest to get an idea for feather direction, size and concentration. I also looked at other companies cockatoo costumes for design ideas.    Charades-theatrical.com My design allowed my actors to choose comfortable undergarment because it was not strapless.  Design done on Pret-a-template app. I had to use the bridal design background so I could draw in white. I started these costumes in February 2021, a journey begins with just one step, well a cockatoo costume begins with just one

Sophie Mamma Mia

Sophie Mamma Mia I made this costume for a friends daughter who wore it to their Mamma Mia themed 21st birthday part. The design is based on the costume the character of Sophie wore during the credits of Mamma Mia where the cast sang Waterloo.  The original costume was designed by Ann Roth for the 2008 movie Mamma Mia. image from Pinterest  Fabric used Pink Rainbow dot shimmer lycra from Tricia's Discount Fabrics Hot Pink Glitter tulle from D K Fabrics Stretch Silver sequin off-cuts, hot pink foil spot fabric, pink acetate lining and light weight white buckram and blush stretch fabric for lining all from my stash. Sophie provided me with a padded bra with removable straps to build the dress onto. We decided this would give her the most support and best fit on the bust line. I divided the costume into 3 sections first test run in Trace'n'toile second version I used a photo of the costume from Pinterest and some notes I took after watching the movie. Bra Bodice: The original