Skip to main content

Gothic Queen of Hearts

“Alice in Wonderland” Youth Theatre Murray Bridge Players and Singers 2018




Concept drawing created on Prêt-à-template

I volunteer my sewing skills for an amateur Theatre group. They have stage a production once or twice a year. For the second half of 2018 the Youth Theatre staged an adaptation of Lewis Carroll's classic story of "Alice in Wonderland".
The Director of the play oversees the set design and costumes as well as directing the play. This director was also part of the youth theatre herself at only 16. She requested a Queen of Hearts costume with a pants suit and a high low jacket with large collar instead of a more tradition dress. 
The above drawing is my submission for the costume. Some changes were made during the construction process to suit the actors proportions and the need to walk up stairs and sit.


Pattern

For this project I used McCall’s 7641 as the base for my jacket. 
Kwik Sew stirrup pants pattern 2057 
Bustier McCalls 7615 view A Corset top.








The main body of the jacket was made from a black polyester fabric with a bit of shimmer. It is backed with black cotton drill and lined. This is the original shape of jacket before front shaping.

I started with view A of the jacket. The unlined sleeves are unchanged from the original pattern. The front opening was cut back so the bustier could be seen under the jacket.


Peplum

A peplum is part of the jacket and flairs out from the waist. For this design the length of the peplum was lifted because the actress had to walk up and down stairs on stage and we didn't want her tripping over with the limited field of vision caused by the high collar. The shape of the peplum was a combination of the two pattern views. The fullness was reduced by overlaying pattern pieces 18 on top of 17. This new peplum shape reduced the fullness overall which allowed for the embellishments to become a feature on the back.


The peplum was made of 3 layers. Originally I planned to use the red vinyl to line the whole peplum. This changed once I cut it out and pinned it to the dress form to check the drape.
Because the vinyl was quite firm and tended to kink rather than fall it didn’t drape the way I wanted.


 full vinyl peplum creased and changed shape at the waistline



 With the softer metallic foiled fabric a softer drape was achieved

I removed the vinyl from the waist line and replaced it with foiled sequin look fabric. This fabric gave a nice drape from the waistline and the vinyl stiffened the hemline to maintain the waves.

The outer peplum is the black shimmer fabric backed with a layer of manmade horsehair like fabric. This white stiffening helped the peplum to flair out more from the waist but still drape nicely and stopped the fabric puckering during embellishments.

The back of the peplum showing the man made horsehair fabric and the wrong side of the sewing embellishment

I drew my design for the embellishments in pencil onto a paper pattern. I traced over the pencil in black texta and transferred the design in smaller elements to sheets paper using a light box. From these I made individual stencil by cutting the design out of the paper with a craft knife.
 This allowed me to transfer the design to the back of the wrong side of the vinyl. Each piece of the design was cut from the vinyl and pinned to the paper pattern.
 I used red tailors tracing paper to transfer the design from the paper to the right side of the black fabric peplum so I could accurately place the vinyl pieces but not see any remaining chalk once the design elements were in place. Each vinyl element was cut and glued to the black fabric.
After letting the glue set I freehand machine embroidered the vinyl to the peplum.















































Collar

The first collar I made was slightly the wrong shape. It would not sit on the shoulders and curve around the neck because the neckline curve was too shallow. I made the collar and added the embellishments before i realised this. 










Close up of the 3D appliqué roses and stems

 Sewing the roses onto the collar








A fitting showed that the collar was too big for the actor


The original collar pinned to the jacket

The reshaped collar meant I had to cut off the lower part

Collar Back. Inside showing the Boning and layers of interfacing, sparkle red organza and black faux leather skirt with scallop edge.



Back collar outside



3D Roses

I made 3D roses from a flat piece of the vinyl. Each one is manipulated and hand sewn into a rose shape then stitched to a flat flower shaped base. A diamanté is stitched in the centre.
I had to be careful bout the position of the roes so they would not be squashed or sat on when worn.












Corset


The corset is made from the shimmer satin. Originally I made it in a red vinyl with a white backing but the fabric was old and had perished somewhat so it started to peel and deteriorate. So i used it a the lining and remade to outer layer in the satin. The corset was very stabilised and really held its shape.

The original fabric chosen for the top was a faux patent leather look fabric in fire engine red. The  red coating didn’t wear well and started peeling of the white base even before I had completed construction so I used it as a boned base. I made another top out of metallic red shimmer satin and sewed them together as one. I put bra cups between the layers to shape the bust. I used an open ended zip as the back closure.



Original vinyl corset which matched the boots perfectly








 Binding the edge



Pants

I used stirrup pants for the costume because the pants were being worn with knee high boots and needed to stay smooth and taught. If you have ever wondered how the Star Trek uniform pants are always straight and taught it is because there is a strip of elastic worn under the shoe that holds the hem in place. The black fabric had a bit stretch but not much because of the application of the red foiled half circles. The waist is elasticated, it’s a very simple pattern with two pattern pieces.




Crown

The Queens crown is made from a gold leaf headband I bought at K-Mart. I wired assorted beads to it with gold wire.



The kids put on a great performance and everyone was very proud of their hard work. 








For Alice I made two versions of the same dress






The Cheshire Cat was an upcycled purple jumpsuit with a metallic spandex top I made underneath. 
Wilma Pictured with her creation.



The little kings robe was an upcycled adult dressing gown. The tails are lined with the same fabric as the Queens pants.



Popular posts from this blog

Frill Neck Lizard Costume

Frill Neck Lizard Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers I started this costume on November 7th 2020 Alex as the Frill Neck lizard rehearsal photo by Jaybirdy Photography Classic Australian icon the frill neck lizard appears in the original stage production.  design by Charades-theatrical.com While I love this design it has many elements, pants, top, shin covers, cod piece, girdle and sail. Way too many things for my actor to put on so I narrowed it down to a top that zips up the front, some stretchy pants and a headpiece you need a pilots licence to drive. My initial design done with Pret-a-template app This is probably the most labour intensive costume I made, purely because I went back to my skills in a freehand machine embroidery and machine sewed all the decorative embroidery into the fabric making it unique. Unlike the professional above costume where printed stretch metallic lycra has been used, I started wit

Cockatoo Costume

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo worn by Cassie Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers Jo and Cassie - rehearsal photo by Jason McCullough I started these costumes February 2021. In the final scene all actors come on stage in an Australian themed costume, the 3 Divas don a sulphur crested cockatoo costume. Off all the complicated costumes I made this was the easiest but also very time consuming. I looked at many pictures of cockatoo's on Pinterest to get an idea for feather direction, size and concentration. I also looked at other companies cockatoo costumes for design ideas.    Charades-theatrical.com My design allowed my actors to choose comfortable undergarment because it was not strapless.  Design done on Pret-a-template app. I had to use the bridal design background so I could draw in white. I started these costumes in February 2021, a journey begins with just one step, well a cockatoo costume begins with just one

Sophie Mamma Mia

Sophie Mamma Mia I made this costume for a friends daughter who wore it to their Mamma Mia themed 21st birthday part. The design is based on the costume the character of Sophie wore during the credits of Mamma Mia where the cast sang Waterloo.  The original costume was designed by Ann Roth for the 2008 movie Mamma Mia. image from Pinterest  Fabric used Pink Rainbow dot shimmer lycra from Tricia's Discount Fabrics Hot Pink Glitter tulle from D K Fabrics Stretch Silver sequin off-cuts, hot pink foil spot fabric, pink acetate lining and light weight white buckram and blush stretch fabric for lining all from my stash. Sophie provided me with a padded bra with removable straps to build the dress onto. We decided this would give her the most support and best fit on the bust line. I divided the costume into 3 sections first test run in Trace'n'toile second version I used a photo of the costume from Pinterest and some notes I took after watching the movie. Bra Bodice: The original