Skip to main content

Into The Woods

Into The Woods

2016 Murray Bridge Players & Singers Production

In 2016 I joined the Murray Bridge Players and Singers as part of the costume team. This was my very first time making costumes for amateur musical theatre. Unlike making ready to wear cloths costumes often require you to think outside the box in terms of construction and closures. Actors sometimes have very little time to change and using closures in places you wouldn’t normally to facilitate this is necessary.

I was given the ugly step sisters and the step mother to costume. The director wanted pantaloons, a white corset, white chemise, decorative over corset and a covered hoop skirt.
Each character would have their own colour scheme.
Step mother played by Joanne Ahrens was black and gold, Lucinda played by Rebecca Netherway was pink and Florinda played by Lauren Gibbs was purple.

CHEMISE

For the chemise I used Simplicity pattern 9966 with very short sleeves. I made them from a white georgette with broderie anglaise lace trim.


CORSET

For both the under and outer corset I used Simplicity 5006. I drafted and did several toile fittings on each actor to get a good fit.
The white corsets are made from a recycled delustered satin wedding gown, I used the outer and lining fabric from the wedding dress. The corset is fully boned but with plastic boning not steel.
The corsets lace up at the back and the actor wore them for the whole production, adding layers over the top when a costume change was needed.




OUTER CORSET

Each actors had a decorated outer corset to wear for more formal scenes. I used the same pattern and made these a little bit bigger to fit over the base corset.
I used satin with lace overlay for decoration.
For the pink and purple corsets I was able to get the same lace fabric in both colours. For the black corset I appliquéd a gold rose brocade fabric on top.









If you would like to read how the lace was applied to these corsets pleases refer to the Galinda part 2 blog for details.

STEP MOTHERS CORSET

The step mother had a black corset with gold roses appliquéd and embroider on it. 
I cut out the roses from a black and gold brocade fabric and appliqued them onto the base sating. Unfortunately the embroidery caused the black satin to shrink and it needed refitting.







Detail of the bobbin work freehand machine embroidery.

The yellow gold embroidery is done by hand winding a thick thread onto the bobbin. The work is sewn with the right side facing down. I appliqué around the rose motifs onto the black satin first so I could see where the embroidery would go. This is sort of like doing a tracing of the design and using it as a guide for the gold stitching.
To finish the corset I bound the edges with a different satin which gave the bust 
curve definition.

PANTALOONS

The pantaloons where poplin fabric made using a basic elastic waist pattern. Elastic and lace was added to the cuffs.

HOOPED SKIRT

The hooped skirts were part of the characters evening wear, rather than the hoop skirt being the support structure for a large cumbersome skirt the director just wanted the hoops to be the skirt. 
I Made them from metal which the company supplied to me and covered each tier in the satin fabric to match each characters colour scheme. The 
Photo by Jay Birdy

Photo by Jay Birdy

The hoop skirts do up with Velcro which is hidden under the over corset.

OTHER COSTUMES

In addition to the evils I also made red riding hoods red cloak and wolf skin jacket. 
Red Riding Hood played by Gabrielle King

Photo by Jay Birdy

Photo by Jay Birdy

Red Riding Hoods red cloak was upcycled from two size 6 vintage velvet skirts and a red velvet curtain. The budget was tight so I had to use some very small skirts that were not useful as skirts anymore. They were A-line and I unpicked them at the centre back seam, removed the zippers and used one for the front and one for the back of the cloak. I added the fabric from a red curtain as a wide border to get more length and blend the colours together. 


Popular posts from this blog

Frill Neck Lizard Costume

Frill Neck Lizard Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers I started this costume on November 7th 2020 Alex as the Frill Neck lizard rehearsal photo by Jaybirdy Photography Classic Australian icon the frill neck lizard appears in the original stage production.  design by Charades-theatrical.com While I love this design it has many elements, pants, top, shin covers, cod piece, girdle and sail. Way too many things for my actor to put on so I narrowed it down to a top that zips up the front, some stretchy pants and a headpiece you need a pilots licence to drive. My initial design done with Pret-a-template app This is probably the most labour intensive costume I made, purely because I went back to my skills in a freehand machine embroidery and machine sewed all the decorative embroidery into the fabric making it unique. Unlike the professional above costume where printed stretch metallic lycra has been used, I started wit

Cockatoo Costume

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo worn by Cassie Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers Jo and Cassie - rehearsal photo by Jason McCullough I started these costumes February 2021. In the final scene all actors come on stage in an Australian themed costume, the 3 Divas don a sulphur crested cockatoo costume. Off all the complicated costumes I made this was the easiest but also very time consuming. I looked at many pictures of cockatoo's on Pinterest to get an idea for feather direction, size and concentration. I also looked at other companies cockatoo costumes for design ideas.    Charades-theatrical.com My design allowed my actors to choose comfortable undergarment because it was not strapless.  Design done on Pret-a-template app. I had to use the bridal design background so I could draw in white. I started these costumes in February 2021, a journey begins with just one step, well a cockatoo costume begins with just one

Sophie Mamma Mia

Sophie Mamma Mia I made this costume for a friends daughter who wore it to their Mamma Mia themed 21st birthday part. The design is based on the costume the character of Sophie wore during the credits of Mamma Mia where the cast sang Waterloo.  The original costume was designed by Ann Roth for the 2008 movie Mamma Mia. image from Pinterest  Fabric used Pink Rainbow dot shimmer lycra from Tricia's Discount Fabrics Hot Pink Glitter tulle from D K Fabrics Stretch Silver sequin off-cuts, hot pink foil spot fabric, pink acetate lining and light weight white buckram and blush stretch fabric for lining all from my stash. Sophie provided me with a padded bra with removable straps to build the dress onto. We decided this would give her the most support and best fit on the bust line. I divided the costume into 3 sections first test run in Trace'n'toile second version I used a photo of the costume from Pinterest and some notes I took after watching the movie. Bra Bodice: The original