Skip to main content

Puppet Dress Costume

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Puppet Dress  



Priscilla Queen of the Desert Amateur theatre production September 2021. 
Murray Bridge Players and Singers


Kurt as Mitzi -  rehearsal photo by Jay Birdy Photography




I started this costume in February 2021. The Puppet dress is a bit of an enigma. All I had to go on was some still images of the dress made by other productions of Priscilla and a you tube video. I had to work out how the actor would walk onto stage wearing what seemed to be a floaty blue dress and then reveal two hand puppets sewn into the skirt.

this image by Paul Hogans from ocregister.com

this design by Charades theatrical

My inspiration cam from this dress I had in my Opp Shop stash from 2017. I bought it for $9 because I liked the fabric and the beading. All together I figured it would have enough material for the puppet dress.







Now that I had chosen this dress as my starting point I now had to make it fit a male body. 
I unpicked the bodice seams and let out the bust darts.







reshaped the back


After the first fitting I also had to add some width into the side seams. The bust dart gap with net and lace from the skirt


I had some silver embroidered sequin lace. It had silver glitter painted sequins, with motifs, a border and a serpentine double line of sequins. Each of these elements could be cut from the net and would not fray making them perfect for embellishments.



silver metallic embroidered motif


I cut multiple motifs from the sequin lace and pinned them to the bodice. I left the bust cups in place and built the decorations up from the waist seam.


Lace motifs pinned to bodice


Motifs and sequin trim cut from net



To secure the motifs onto the bodice I used freehand machine embroidery and followed the lines in the motif. I used a silver metallic thread in the top to match the motifs and blue in the bobbin.


freehand machine stitching on wrong side


Stitching is invisible from the right side




Auditioning the net upper bodice idea.

The embellishments attached I moved onto the upper part of the bodice. The actor needed to be able to put the dress on and off quickly so I used a centre back zip. I toyed with ideas for the shoulders and ended up using a double layer of the blue tulle. This is sewn to the sweetheart neckline and the seam allowance topstitched down. 

The skirt of this dress is multi layered tiers to create volume and a place to conceal the puppets. I used the lining from the Opp shop dress but it didn't have enough fabric for the outside layers so I got some blue glitter georgette from Tricia's Discount Fabrics in Adelaide. While glitter fabric looks great is sheds glitter all over the place including inside your sewing machine!
I cut circles from the glitter fabric in two different sizes. This gave me the long bottom layer and the top layer. 


Getting a feel for the dress


At this stage the transition between the bodice and the blue glitter skirt didn't work for me so I added a ruffled layer of lace and tulle at the waist. 



Sequin trim added to neckline to give it definition. 
Motifs added to the waistline seam to blend it with the skirt. 


the bodice shoulder seams are pinned ready for a fitting

I started with two cheerleader puppets the director sourced for me from America. I gave these girls a major facelift and turned them into divas!




Transforming a cheerleader


Hand sewn pink felt lips


circles cut from the back of the puppet and sewn to net


turned right side out


stuffed with wadding


pinned to puppet


hand sewn to puppet


Puppet bodice cut from lace


backed with net


sweetheart neckline


sequin embellishments added


fitting


more embellishments



Yes.... I gave a puppet a boob job!



Hair, makeup, costume...check!

The finished dress, I added sequin trim to the neckline and armholes.  



3 tiered skirt with lace top layer

The puppets are sewn to a tube of fabric that acts like a glove. The tube is suspended from the top of the second tier of the skirt. 
The tube is stiffened with buckram to maintain its shape otherwise the tube would collapse and the actor would not be able to locate it and slide their hand in to start the puppet dance. 
The puppets hang upside down with he tube at their base, their skirts are weighted so they stay down fully and then when the puppet is righted the skirts fall dawn revealing the puppet.




The hidden puppet







The finished puppet dress 

  rehearsal photo sequence by Jay Birdy Photography




















Popular posts from this blog

Frill Neck Lizard Costume

Frill Neck Lizard Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers I started this costume on November 7th 2020 Alex as the Frill Neck lizard rehearsal photo by Jaybirdy Photography Classic Australian icon the frill neck lizard appears in the original stage production.  design by Charades-theatrical.com While I love this design it has many elements, pants, top, shin covers, cod piece, girdle and sail. Way too many things for my actor to put on so I narrowed it down to a top that zips up the front, some stretchy pants and a headpiece you need a pilots licence to drive. My initial design done with Pret-a-template app This is probably the most labour intensive costume I made, purely because I went back to my skills in a freehand machine embroidery and machine sewed all the decorative embroidery into the fabric making it unique. Unlike the professional above costume where printed stretch metallic lycra has been used, I started wit

Cockatoo Costume

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo worn by Cassie Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers Jo and Cassie - rehearsal photo by Jason McCullough I started these costumes February 2021. In the final scene all actors come on stage in an Australian themed costume, the 3 Divas don a sulphur crested cockatoo costume. Off all the complicated costumes I made this was the easiest but also very time consuming. I looked at many pictures of cockatoo's on Pinterest to get an idea for feather direction, size and concentration. I also looked at other companies cockatoo costumes for design ideas.    Charades-theatrical.com My design allowed my actors to choose comfortable undergarment because it was not strapless.  Design done on Pret-a-template app. I had to use the bridal design background so I could draw in white. I started these costumes in February 2021, a journey begins with just one step, well a cockatoo costume begins with just one

Sophie Mamma Mia

Sophie Mamma Mia I made this costume for a friends daughter who wore it to their Mamma Mia themed 21st birthday part. The design is based on the costume the character of Sophie wore during the credits of Mamma Mia where the cast sang Waterloo.  The original costume was designed by Ann Roth for the 2008 movie Mamma Mia. image from Pinterest  Fabric used Pink Rainbow dot shimmer lycra from Tricia's Discount Fabrics Hot Pink Glitter tulle from D K Fabrics Stretch Silver sequin off-cuts, hot pink foil spot fabric, pink acetate lining and light weight white buckram and blush stretch fabric for lining all from my stash. Sophie provided me with a padded bra with removable straps to build the dress onto. We decided this would give her the most support and best fit on the bust line. I divided the costume into 3 sections first test run in Trace'n'toile second version I used a photo of the costume from Pinterest and some notes I took after watching the movie. Bra Bodice: The original