Skip to main content

Koala Costume

 Koala Costumes

Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021. 
Murray Bridge Players and Singers

I started these costumes in October 2020



The Koala costumes are worn by the actors playing Shirley, Cynthia and Marion. When I made the koalas I didn't know who the actors would be so I made 3 sizes and hoped that would workout. 



The original costumes are a leotard with a jacket. This design by charade-theatrical.com

I wanted something more modest and comfortable for my actors so I went with a long sleeve ice skating leotard which had a skirt and a seperate shrug in fur. 


shrug pattern 

I made the dresses in grey panne velvet and accented them with faux fur. I chose light blue, royal and aqua purely because we had two of these in the stash. One colour for each size so the actor could tell them apart. 
At first the contrast fur accents were just the cuffs and the chest oval but I later added the skirt trim to balance it all out. 
My leotard doesn't have the pants attached because people have very different torso lengths and it would be too hard to alter this part later if needed. The actors wore bike shorts where needed. 
The costume is pulled on over the head as it is stretch fabric and has a wide neckline and low back. 


Front


Back


The costume has negative ease, making it figure hugging and you can see the join in my dress model here.







Shrug

I used a Burda pattern for the shrug, I left off the sleeves and lined it with satin. 





before the chest and skirt trim fur are added


Headpiece



The original production koala ears are huge! I couldn't recreate these so I went for a smaller look. 
For the ears I used some thick felt placemats. I cut the shapes out then made my own pattern to cover them . The cap is a hard felt pirate hat with the brim cut off. 
I made the cap cover and inserted the ears into the side seams. I had to make it so I could insert the felt ears into the fabric and then secure the felt to the cap so the ears wouldn't flop.
















Here is Carly and Lauren modelling the Wattle and Koala costumes


 Photo by  Jaybirdy Photography

Popular posts from this blog

Frill Neck Lizard Costume

Frill Neck Lizard Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers I started this costume on November 7th 2020 Alex as the Frill Neck lizard rehearsal photo by Jaybirdy Photography Classic Australian icon the frill neck lizard appears in the original stage production.  design by Charades-theatrical.com While I love this design it has many elements, pants, top, shin covers, cod piece, girdle and sail. Way too many things for my actor to put on so I narrowed it down to a top that zips up the front, some stretchy pants and a headpiece you need a pilots licence to drive. My initial design done with Pret-a-template app This is probably the most labour intensive costume I made, purely because I went back to my skills in a freehand machine embroidery and machine sewed all the decorative embroidery into the fabric making it unique. Unlike the professional above costume where printed stretch metallic lycra has been used, I started wit

Cockatoo Costume

Sulphur Crested Cockatoo worn by Cassie Priscilla Queen of the Desert - Amateur theatre production September 2021.  Murray Bridge Players and Singers Jo and Cassie - rehearsal photo by Jason McCullough I started these costumes February 2021. In the final scene all actors come on stage in an Australian themed costume, the 3 Divas don a sulphur crested cockatoo costume. Off all the complicated costumes I made this was the easiest but also very time consuming. I looked at many pictures of cockatoo's on Pinterest to get an idea for feather direction, size and concentration. I also looked at other companies cockatoo costumes for design ideas.    Charades-theatrical.com My design allowed my actors to choose comfortable undergarment because it was not strapless.  Design done on Pret-a-template app. I had to use the bridal design background so I could draw in white. I started these costumes in February 2021, a journey begins with just one step, well a cockatoo costume begins with just one

Sophie Mamma Mia

Sophie Mamma Mia I made this costume for a friends daughter who wore it to their Mamma Mia themed 21st birthday part. The design is based on the costume the character of Sophie wore during the credits of Mamma Mia where the cast sang Waterloo.  The original costume was designed by Ann Roth for the 2008 movie Mamma Mia. image from Pinterest  Fabric used Pink Rainbow dot shimmer lycra from Tricia's Discount Fabrics Hot Pink Glitter tulle from D K Fabrics Stretch Silver sequin off-cuts, hot pink foil spot fabric, pink acetate lining and light weight white buckram and blush stretch fabric for lining all from my stash. Sophie provided me with a padded bra with removable straps to build the dress onto. We decided this would give her the most support and best fit on the bust line. I divided the costume into 3 sections first test run in Trace'n'toile second version I used a photo of the costume from Pinterest and some notes I took after watching the movie. Bra Bodice: The original